Re: [compost_tea] Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Stephen Steyn <ssteyn_at_wcaccess.co.za>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:21:38 +0200

Steve Diver;
I'm a wheat grower and want to use the tea as a spray to improve the vitali=
ty of the crop, introduce some diversity in my soils biota and assist in th=
e breakdown of crop residues from the previous season. Also I'd like to red=
uce the severity of fungal diseases. I still will spray fungicides. Yield i=
s 4 tons per hectare average and price of wheat $180 per metric ton. We are=
 not subsidised so don't have the luxury of living on others earnings!

Climate is Mediterranean, with winter rains (May to September rainfall 270m=
m) and dry summers (October to April rainfall 130mm). I hope to apply two =
sprays on the wheat. Area is 650ha (about 1500 acres, maybe two sections?)=

Our natural vegetation was scrubland - predominantly bush so the compost I =
am making is made from grape skins and stems mixed with wood shavings, wood=
 shavings mixed with dairy cow manure, and wheat straw mixed with dairy cow=
 manure. My consultant says the wood component is necessary to counter the =
continuous inputs of wheat crop residue to get diverse biota. Lime (calciti=
c)2% and clay5%-10% is mixed with the 3 types of piles mentioned. I make th=
e piles by putting the ingredients in a feed mixer wagon and pumping it ont=
o a bed of straw when suitably mixed and fine enough. Piles are about 5 m l=
ong and two wide tapering to the top, with three chimneys made from bundled=
 reeds. Its a modified CMC method and its not turned for the first two mont=
hs. Temperature is measured daily however there is not a great deal I can d=
o about too high except water which gives a temporary drop - the temp seems=
 to be self regulating. Temp shoots to about 65 degrees C after two days(14=
0degrees F) and hasn't gone much higher yet. Inoculant is added when the pi=
le is mixed.

The piles will be used as feedstock in further piles in August. These will =
be made from lupins, oats and canola green material. The various piles will=
 then be analysed to see in what proportion they should be mixed to give di=
verse biota etc.
Doe this help?
Regards
Steve Steyn
  Steve Diver wrote:

  What are the crops and soils you want to treat
  with compost tea? What kind of compost tea
  do you want to make? What do you hope to
  accomplish with compost tea? "Where" you live
  can make a difference in terms of climate and
  soils.

  These latter questions -- that focus on compost
  tea rather than the composting process -- seems
  more important at this point.

  Regards,

  Steve Diver