[compost_tea] Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:58:21 -0000

Stephen Steyn -

Thanks for clarifying that the substrate is CMC
Compost.

If you have indeed obtained CMC compost, then
you can be assured of a good compost substrate
to make compost tea.

However, may I suggest that you forget about
about clay settling out of the compost.  It is
highly unlikely that is what you are observing.
Clay is bound into clay-humus.  It does not
separate, at least I've never seen this happen.

Likewise, rock dust can also be part of the composting
process, but will never see rock dust settle out
of compst tea.  It will be bound into the humus crumb.

Compost is a substrate.  It provides soluble
nutrients, bioactive substances, and beneficial
microorganisms.

The compost extraction process can pull some
of these substances out of the compost and
enrich the aqueous solution.

By addition of compost tea additives (molasses,
kelp, humic acid) -- accompanied with aeration
and brewing time -- you can brew a compost tea.

What are the crops and soils you want to treat
with compost tea?  What kind of compost tea
do you want to make?  What do you hope to
accomplish with compost tea?  "Where" you live
can make a difference in terms of climate and
soils.

These latter questions -- that focus on compost
tea rather than the composting process -- seems
more important at this point.

Regards,

Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Steyn" <ssteyn@w...>
wrote:

> You're right. I had the incorrect name and therefore the incorrect
site. It's the CMC course which my composter attended. My composter
advocates the addition of 10% clay to the material to be composted.
It would appear from your missive that you approve or even recommend
the use of 10% clay in the compost pile - with the usual caveat that
conditions in the compost pile are optimal and the food source optimal
etc. I was hoping someone would be able to enlighten me as to the
desirability of using clay and the purpose of the clay in the
composting process. I guess your reply answered this part of the
query.

> I don't have a compost extractor (compost tea maker or aqueous
compost extractor I guess you would call it - the local composters
call it an extractor) however I am preparing to purchase one from a
local supplier. My last message gave some assumed specs of the
extractor namely an air pump which delivers 2500lt of air a minute at
2 bars supplying air to a  vessel with a water capacity of 1000lt with
about 2.5 m of 75mm pipe covered by  bubbler membrane in the bottom.
The air pump is used to serve up to 4 of these vessels simultaneously.
I believe the bubbler membrane is supplied by Bob Baars from Compara
while the other components are locally sourced as per his
specifications. By the way, I have attended a talk by Bob Baars which
dealt with organic farming versus chemical farming, soil biota
composition, composting and the use of compost and related matters.

> My second and related question. A jump to the left if you like.
> Last week I watched as some labourers were emptying an extractor
and noticed a substantial deposit in the bottom of the vessel. I am
therefore posing the question: Is the deposit not the clay fraction
which has never been in suspension but simply migrated to the bottom
of the vessel and probably never been sufficiently agitated to remain
in circulation during the extraction cycle? This could possibly mean
that it was not stripped of its nutrients and biota. Is the use of
clay then the best way to make compost for extraction purposes given
the problem that it precipitates to the bottom of the vessel rather
than staying in circulation during the extraction cycle?

> I hope you can help with the query and thanks once again for your
kind reply to my previous mail. I will visit your site and study your
material on CMC.

> Kind Regards
> Steve Steyn

Yahoo! Groups Links