Re: [compost_tea] Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:56:50 -0800

CO2 meters. The one I use is a mechano/fluid meter and I build a special p=
robe to get the depth I wanted. I tried a digital meter and couldn't get t=
he thing to work correctly in composting. However, I did find a process co=
ntrol company that makes remote monitoring equipment used in oil drilling a=
nd I took one of their meters and modified it to work in a compost pile. F=
or day do day use though the mechanical/fluid meter is very reliable.

The company is Bacharach. Fyrite Gas Analyzer CO2 and O2 indicators. Mode=
l 10-5000. The meter and probe are separate.

Moisture. You don't need a meter. Read any composting book and you will g=
et visual/touch indicators that will give you a good hint about moisture co=
ntent. You want about 45% overall which is indicated by squeezing the comp=
ost. The material will stay clumped together but will not expel droplets.=

Ted Peterson
SOE