[compost_tea] Re: Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Kirk Leonard <kirkleon_at_open.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:23:33 -0800
Steve -- a reply on composts

> Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:41:02 -0000
> From: "Steve Diver" <steved_at_ncat.org>
> Subject: Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

> For clarity, cold composting is un-related
> to traditional Luebke compost.
Understand.  Did not intend to confuse the two.

> Secondly, there is no "question" that Luekbe
> compost meets EPA Standards.
I thought so.  Please note I said "might" not, and it was a question.  Good
to know.

> Kirk, where and why do you repeat a mis-statement
> as critical as this... regarding EPA standardss
> for time and temperature to reduce pathogens?
Not sure what you mean here.  This is straight from NOP's Final Rule, based
on 40 CFR 503 EPA regs:

"Producers using an in-vessel or static aerated pile system must document
that the composting process achieved a temperature between 131dF and 170dF
and maintained that level for a minimum of 3 days. Producers using a windrow
composting system must document that the composting process achieved a
temperature between 131dF and 170dF and maintained that level for a minimum
of 15 days."

> Secondly, Kirk, why did you make an un-founded
> and inaccurate remark that "Luebke compost focuses
> on CO2 rather than temperature tracking"?!?
Got that impression from reading your quickie on "How to Construct a Compost
Windrow" where temp is not mentioned.  Most thermal composters use temp as a
turning indicator, I believe. And again, Steve, it was a question...

> If a home composter understands how to make
> Luebke compost, then let us give them the
> freedom to do so.  It is assumed they would
> know it takes a certain volume and certain
> management to achieve the goal of humified
> compost.
I'd certainly not want to take away anyone's freedom to use whatever sound
composting method they can do. I wish more people would compost, and just
thought it important to point out that thermal composting may not be easy
for backyard gardeners to do, which is why the notion of cold composting
interests me.

Europeans are way ahead of us on compost, rightly perceiving
it as a rich resource for a long time.  In the US, it is too often treated
as an icky waste disposal problem, seen as an eyesore.

Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links