Re: [compost_tea] Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Stephen Steyn <ssteyn_at_wcaccess.co.za>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:09:44 +0200

Steve Diver;
I had a visit from my composter today and she confirmed two things you had =
told me. She is a German lady who is a Professor of Microbiology at a Unive=
rsity nearby. I don't have the knowledge to discuss these things with her e=
xcept on a very superficial plane.
  1.. Clay is necessary to form the crumb structure. She doesn't know offha=
nd why but she says the Leubkes have done the work and know its necessary. =
She also says its necessary for the stability of the humus when the compost=
 is applied to soil. She concurs with you regarding the negative charge of =
the clay molecule and its ability to adsorb the humus fraction. As for the =
clay settling during the extraction cycle, she believes it will stay in cir=
culation while the compost it being agitated by the airpump. There will be =
a settling out of ingredients once the system is switched off and the dregs=
 in the vessel will contain valuable nutrients so should be added to anothe=
r pile again.
  2.. She has used a shadecloth cover over her piles and says it has improv=
ed the texture of the pile tremendously. She also says it appears to work b=
est when the cover is not tight against the pile but has an air gap of abou=
t 6 inches. She believes it keeps the heat off and stops the wind from dryi=
ng out the pile. The main thing is it appears to work well.
Sorry I doubted your advice.
Cheers
Steve Steyn