[compost_tea] Resources for on-farm research

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:58:37 -0000

The sustainable agricultural movement has
made widespread use of on-farm research.

SAN (Sustainable Agriculture Network), the
publishing wing of SARE (the USDA program
for research and education in sustainable
agriculture), produced the following bulletin.

How to Conduct Research on Your Farm or Ranch
http://www.sare.org/publications/research/index.htm
http://www.sare.org/publications/research/research.pdf

Especially see the Resource sections for further
materials.
http://www.sare.org/publications/research/resource.htm

Based on experience, I can suggest that people
look at strip block design instead of randomized
complete design... to keep it practical in terms
of field equipment operations and harvesting of
plots for data collection.

On-farm research is a great way to observe field
plots and collect data to evaluate all kinds of
"new" practices vs "standard" practices.

Steve Diver
http://www.attra.ncat.org

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Perry Clutts" <addy@a...> wrote:

> OFRF (Organic Farming Research Foundation) has a good booklet on
doing your own research... it is written for farms.. but should be
able to be applied to any situation...
> http://www.ofrf.org/research/On-farm.Research.Guide.PDF
>
> I'm don't know if ATTRA has publications to help with home/farm
research, but maybe Steve can send us some suggestions.

> Perry
> South Central Ohio

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links