Re: [compost_tea] Re: Flow rate for air pumps

From: Stephen Steyn <ssteyn_at_wcaccess.co.za>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:20:47 +0200

Greetings Tom;
I found your technical posting most interesting. I couldn't access the http=
://www.fisheries.org/html/publications/epubs/fhm2e/appendices.shtm site as =
it appears to be reserved for subscribers, but found the chapter 6 site. I =
would appear that if you have an air density problem (hot and high), you be=
tter not load too much food into the extractor - although I've never worked=
 with a DO meter and don't know the dynamics of the extraction process in t=
erms of oxygen demand. Also if you have fairly high backpressure due to res=
trictive apertures in the bubbler and a deep extractor, your pump better ha=
ve good characteristics or you're going to produce something other than gre=
at ACT. Keeping in mind too that some pumps put out air at a fair temperatu=
re too.

Why do ACT producers put molasses, kelp and fish into the extractor and not=
 into the compost where fungi and protozoa will have more time to increase?=
 Is it because most extractors don't produce their own compost? Wouldn't it=
 be "better" to add the foods to the compost pile?
Cheers
Steve Steyn