Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: My compost

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:14:42 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Kirk Leonard
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:43 AM
Subject: [compost_tea] Re: Re: My compost

I agree with Butch.

> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:22:20 -0800 (PST)
> From: butch ragland <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: My compost
>
> The one thing I know a great deal about is "big box"
> bags and it is not likely that it really is composted
> manure. Not that it is bad, it just probably isn't
> what it says on the bag.

Jack - can you find a local source of good compost? Someone who can tell
you what's in it, whether or not it got done thermally, maybe even tested
it? If there is manure in the compost, it should have been
thermophyllically composted, achieved 131dF for at least 3 days, and longer
(10-15 days) with temps up to 160dF is better.

If it is containerized and processed where a very thin layer is heated and =
turned, pathogens may be wiped out by 150 dF for 1 hour. Remember though, t=
o sell this stuff, it must meet EPA standards for compost. Somewhere there=
 is testing and a procedures manual that states it meets EPA. Otherwise, i=
t can't be sold commercially, legally. I know Walmart does a lot of crummy=
 things but I think they are legal in most respects. So if you are buying =
"compost" from Walmart, it may be low quality but it still has to meet stan=
dards. I would suspect that it contains some human biosolids also. If it =
does, this must be clearly marked on the package. EPA allows for a mixture=
 of a certain percentage of biosolids in anything called "compost." Mulch =
is a different story.

http://www.wasteage.com/mag/waste_understanding_epas_compost/

http://www.epa.gov/region09/waste/solid/compost.htm

Ted Peterson