Re: [compost_tea] very disapointing soil test

From: butch ragland <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:11:38 -0800 (PST)
If coir has natural compounds that prevent it from
decomposing by fungal activity would it work as a
ground powder to prevent powdery mildew? If not coir,
is there another natural plant derivative? Just a
question, because I don't have a plant that has ever
been attacked by powdery mildew that I know of.
--- soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:

> -------
> Coconut coir needs to be aged to get rid of the
> terpenes and phenols in the
> material.  Terpenes and phenols are made by the
> plant to prevent  most
> microorganisms from being able to decompose the
> plant material.   That's why it is
> around the coconut - so help preserve the seed.

> So, when not properly aged, or aerated, coir is
> anti-microbial.  once  aged,
> and the terpenes and phenols volatilized, then the
> plant material is a  great
> fungal food.  So to quickly process coir into
> something useable by  bacteria,
> AND FUNGI, it is not really a decomposition process
> that you are  looking at,
> but rather a physical factor of allowing  these
> compounds to blow off.

Butch Ragland
Conflict is as addictive as
cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes,etc