Re: [compost_tea] smell while brewing

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:46:30 EST

Fermenting tea? What do you mean by that, exactly?

Any clues on what kind of smell. I know describing a smell is hard, but a
clue or two would be good.

But it means, most likely, that you have some particular organisms that make
a unique secondary metabolite. It could be anaerobic, if you have a
bio-film forming someplace in the tea brewer. Can you check any pipes, hidden
surfaces, corners, etc for bio-film development?

Have you done a look-see of the organisms using a qualitative test?

Can you contact your closest SFI advisor to get some help?

Elaine

When we brew ACT we have at about T+24H a smell that is not as
pleasant as the smell of good fermenting ACT. It lasts for about 10
to 12 hours and is then replaced by a pleasant "neutral" smell. The
brew is well aerated during the whole process and we are probably ok
for nutrients (ie we don't feed the brew too much). What should we
understand about the process from that smell?

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa