Re: [compost_tea] CT and soiless media

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:14:52 EST

Hi Butch -

I am very much looking forward to Mark's thesis defense. We need more
students doing this kind of work, where they measure the biology in the compost
each step along the way, and assess what changes are occurring in the biology
with differences in starting materials, in moisture, in temperature, etc.

We need people measuring the biology in tea, so we learn what conditions
result in having the biology desired, and what harms the biology desired so it
isn't there.

If you can't measure something, you cannot manage it. We've known this
forever. For people to say measuring biology in compost or in tea is pointless
is outright ludicrous.

There is so much we don't know.

Elaine

In a message dated 3/9/2005 9:55:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com writes:

GREAT
> A graduate student that I work with, Mark Highland,
> is just finishing up his
> master's thesis, and it is clear from his work that
> standard potting mix is
> only barely equal to a properly made, GOOD, AEROBIC
> compost.
THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING
> What defines the good aerobic compost? the presence
> of the aerobic BIOLOGY.
I'M SURE YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT
> I will be at his thesis defense early next week, and
> look forward to his
> publications soon to come.
WONDERFUL
> Another graduate student at Kansas State University,
> Chandrappa Gangaiah, a
> student with Ed Carey in Horticulture, has CLEARLY
> shown that AERATED compost
> tea is every bit as effective as major fungicides at
> preventing disease.
WHY DO THING WE CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT OURSELVES
> So much for people who want to claim we haven't been
> doing replicated
> scientific studies. Science takes time, and can't
> be forced to move forward faster
> just because someone wants to gripe.

Butch Ragland
Conflict is as addictive as
cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes,etc
I'm sorry to report that
cooperation is not

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa