Re: [compost_tea] too much N

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:07:56 -0800
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:17:49 EST, soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
<soilfoodweb_at_aol.com> wrote:
> People keep thinking that they somehow "know" whether their soil is fungal
> or bacterial, without checking.  Just because you added a fungal food does
> not mean that things went fungal.  doing some checking to know that you have
> fungi to begin is necessary, and then whether the added fungal foods got the
> fungi growing.

Hi Elaine,

This statement of your's got me thinking about one of my garden areas
that I "know" is fungal, but I'm now wondering about the diversity.

I live on a lot that was subdivided out of third growth timber, and
this garden section is up against an area of trees that has only been
selectively logged since the 40s. The firs are well over 100' and the
salal is around 5'.

This section of garden has about 10 mushroom caps of various sorts per
square foot at just about any time during the winter, so there is no
need to use a microscope to see if it is fungal.

What I am wondering about is whether any inferences can be drawn from
the macro fungi in relation to the presence of diverse micro fungi?

It's not really worth testing, because I only use that area for
growing compost pile feed, as it gets too much shade for most
vegetables. It's more a a curiosity thing.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links