[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Moratorium Called on Genetically Modified Foods

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> > Nothing wrong with genetically improved food - noone is breeding Triffids
> > you know - get over the paranoia and get some proper information.
>
> Yup.  I tried to think of one common food that is not genetically
> modified.  I came up with wild rice, and I'm not sure about that.

No paranoia, just two important points:

1. Genetic engineering dramatically interferes with the natural
mutation processes which caused improvements to our food plants
for centuries. Gene splicing canNOT be compared to natural
mutation in terms of stability or safety. It's like comparing
regular photography to x-rays.

2. The corporations behind these new "mutivars" are lobbying
Congress and the EU to prevent these experimental foods from
being labelled as such - in other words, they want to overcome
market resistance by keeping you ignorant, by not offering you a
choice. Rather than convincing you the technology is safe (which
should be easy if it's the truth, no?) they want to take the
decision out of your hands. Your health may be held hostage to
their desire for profit.  And THAT stinks.

Joshua

Follow-Ups: References: