[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Moratorium Called on Genetically Modified Foods

joshua@cimatron.co.il wrote:

> Gene splicing canNOT be compared to natural
> mutation in terms of stability or safety.
>

> Joshua

I don't where you got that idea from because natural mutation IS a form
of gene manipulation! As far as stability goes, natural mutation can also
be very unstable.  If foreign genes are spliced into a plant and this
config is not stable it won't be passed on to the F1 generation therefore
it will not be cultivated as a genetically engineered food. With your
comment about the saftey of genetically engineered foods--hogwash!  These
foods are PERFECTLY SAFE!!! The genes that are spliced into the natural
genome of a plant are from other plants or animals where the gene has a
desirable effect.  Scientists do not transfer detrimental genes into the
plants in which they are trying to improve.

Larry