No Subject

TIME TO ACT CAMPAIGN
Sender: owner-smallfarm@reeusda.gov

Many of you may have heard about the USDA National
Commission on Small Farms report, entitled, A Time to Act,
A Report of the National Commission on Small Farms, that was
issued to Secretary Glickman last year.  This report contained 146
recommendations for USDA to change its policies and programs to more
directly assist small, family-sized farms. Emphasis was placed on
sustainable agriculture, civil rights, direct marketing, enforcement of
anti-trust laws, beginning farmers and farmworker issues.

In an effort to promote and advocate for the implementation of these
recommendations, the Time to Act Campaign was organized with funding
support from the Kellogg and Ford Foundations and is sponsored by the
Center for Rural Affairs. The Time to Act Campaign consists of most of the members
of the Commission acting independent of the Commission. Staff support is
provided by Barbara Meister, a policy consultant, and Chuck Hassebrook of the
Center for Rural Affairs.

To find out more about the Time to Act Campaign, our activities and how
to get involved, please see our website which is housed
at www.cfra.org or go directly to
http://www.cfra.org/tta/tta_home_page.htm

We recently released a 'Report Card' grading USDA's progress to date in
implementing the Commission's recommendations (see website).

And our latest project....the Time to Act for Family Farms!
video is ready for renting and showing at your next
meeting. See below for details.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Barbara Meister (meisterb@ix.netcom.com)

Time to Act for Family Farms!

 A Report of the USDA National Commission on Small Farms

Learn how government policies affect opportunities of our nation's farmers,
the quality of our environment, and the health of our communities.
Find out how you can make a difference by renting the video, Time to Act for
Family Farms!

Time to Act for Family Farms! is a 26-minute video featuring
the value of small farms to our economy, environment and
community life  the challenges facing small farmers, their families and rural
communities and the policy choices at stake.

In January 1998, the USDA National Commission on Small Farms released
their report A Time to Act, to Secretary Glickman.  The Commission made a
compelling case for the value of small farms to our nation's economic
stability, environmental protection and social fabric.  A Time to Act
includes a comprehensive plan for changes in the U.S. Department of
Agriculture's policies to enable greater economic opportunity for small
farmers nationwide.

The Time to Act for Family Farms video illustrates the
challenges faced by small farmers through the stories of
a Black farmer in Georgia working to organize a vegetable marketing
cooperative;

--- hog farmers and their rural neighbors in Minnesota fighting for access
to fair markets and pursuing low-cost and environmentally sound methods
for raising hogs;

--- and a diversified organic farming family in California marketing
directly to urban consumers.

See how government policies affect the opportunities of these farmers and
others like them.  Find out more about the policy choices before
Secretary Glickman and our elected representatives and how you can
participate in the Time to Act Campaign.

The video is available for use at organizational meetings, workshops or
events. You can also request materials from which to make copies to
handout to viewers.  To rent a copy of the Time to Act for Family
Farms video, mail this request form and $5.00 for postage and
handling to the Center for Rural Affairs at PO Box 406 Walthill, NE
68067.  Please tell us how you plan to use the video and the date of your
meeting or event.

Yes, I'd like to rent a copy of Time to Act for Family
Farms video.

Name

Mailing Address:

Ph: 				Fax:				E-mail:

Please describe meeting or event where video will be shown and audience
size:

Would you like materials to handout?  ___ Yes ___ No

Please Note:  You are expected to return the video within 5 days after
rental, and are responsible for the postage and handling costs of $5.00.
Payment must accompany order.

-----

Barbara Meister

148 Cypress Park