[ecopath] Managing the World

Is the World Manageable?

This question along with answer is presented as part of a
university web site at:

  http://www.utexas.edu/courses/resource/

Until humans understand the ecosystem, social system and
economic system much better, the world is, indeed,
unmanageable, in my opinion.  And, from all available
evidence, humans have failed in about every way that I can
imagine, short of nuclear holocaust (and we're not out
completely of the woods on that, either).  However, the same
principles as management of much smaller portions apply
world-wide.  The principle obstacles are found in flawed
human organizational artifacts -- economics, politics and
law, and social justice.

Until we can manage our own microcosm of the planet well,
there is no reason to think that we can do any better with
more complexity to monitor and evaluate.  As a logical step
in this direction, our focus can be to learn as much as
possible in the relatively simple system of our own life, and
as we learn good management there we can improve our
management of increasing spheres of the global system.
Walking comes before running, and I think that walking our
talk comes before political activism with a goal of telling
others how they must live their lives.  That's my view.  What
is yours?