http://www.midfex.org/
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.  Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu /intergarden/orgfarm
/intergarden /permaculture /ecolandtech
lflondon@mindspring.com  london@metalab.unc.edu
Title: MidFEx (Midwest Fruit Explorers)

MidFEx    Midwest Fruit Explorers

MidFEx, short for Midwest Fruit Explorers, is a non-profit organization of amateur backyard fruit growing enthusiasts. Most of our members live in the counties surrounding Chicago. We are crazy about the best tasting, most flavorful fruits that grow well here. We are also interested in growing special, superior and unusual fruits regardless of their appearance or commercial appeal. This includes little known varieties of apples, peaches, pears, plums, grapes and nuts; and more unusual fruits such as the pawpaw, mulberry, persimmon, fig, juneberry, Asian pear, and hardy kiwi. Our members locate, graft, propagate, test, grow and swap these superior fruiting plants; and then get together and share their knowledge.

Exciting News  -  MidFEx is Featured in the Current Issues of Two Magazines
     Take a look at 'Midwest Living'  Oct. 1999 issue on page 14 for a one page article titled 'Learning About Exotic Fruit Trees'.  It describes several member's experiences growing and propagating fruit trees.
     Be sure to buy 'Chicagoland Gardening' September-October 1999 issue!  There is a wonderful article on pages 15-17 about MidFEx's Harvest Festival;  lots of interesting comments from members including fruit tree recommendations with an emphasis on judging the taste and flavor.

Featured Event:  MidFEx's Harvest Festival

 Have questions about growing fruit in your yard, have a problem deciding which variety to plant, then be sure to join us at our annual Harvest Festival.  Everyone is welcomed and it's free. Antique Apple Press  Club members will show close to a hundred different varieties of locally grown apples.  This includes many superior antique and classic apples not available at the local grocers.  Members also plan to show Asian pears, paw-paws, plums, black walnuts and more.  Starting at 1:00 pm on Sunday, the second day of the show, every fruit on display will be cut up so you can sample its taste.  Throughout the show individual gourmet and antique apples will be on sale.

 If weather and nature cooperates, we plan on having small cutup samples of pawpaws for tasting both days of the show!

 Also this year is a demonstration of fruit dehydrating techniques.

 There's more! The club will present educational displays and pamphlets of interest to local gardeners to help them successfully grow fruit in this area; and of course our members will be on hand to answer your questions. You may even want to join MidFEx!
 For those folks who only want to enjoy the end result, the club has some great apple varieties in quantity for sale (Spigold, Cortland, Mutsu, Melrose, Ida Red, Holiday, and Empire). We will also be selling individual antique apples, fresh apple cider, taffy apples, apple butter, peach butter, homemade jams, preserves, dessert sauces and more.

If you are still curious, see a report and picture from last year's Harvest Festival.

October 16 - 17, 1999 from 10 am to 4:30 pm at the Chicago Botanic Garden,, 1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe Illinois.  Go to the Educational building.

  • Parking- Botanic Garden Members park free.  MidFEx members show the most recent Grapevine (our newsletter) at the gate for free parking during the days of the show, everyone else $7 per car.   (MidFEx's membership is only $10 per year!)
  • Maps and directions
  • Chicago Botanic Garden's web site

Gene's Backyard Orchard
Click here to begin tour
  Take a virtual tour of Gene Yale's Backyard Orchard.  You'll be amazed!  There are 97 dwarf apple trees (93 different varieties) and 6 blueberry bushes in 2500 square feet.   His backyard was featured in the June 15, 1997 Chicago Sun-Times and in the October 12, 1997 Chicago Tribune newspapers.
  Gene is one of MidFEx's more talented members and is pleased to share his knowledge.  On this tour you'll see his backyard and learn the secrets to its success.  Learn how to grow a 3 foot mini-dwarf apple tree, read about Gene's favorite apple varieties and more.

  Note: On September 9, 1999 WLS Channel 7 news had a feature segment about Gene's backyard orchard! Two weeks later on September 28, WTTW Channel 2 news also televised a wonderful segment featuring Gene's backyard, and our web address was displayed on screen for 15 seconds.

Upcoming Events in 1999-2000

  • Oct. 16 & 17, 1999- MidFEx Harvest Festival,  at the Chicago Botanic Garden (see above)
  • January 16, 2000- MidFEx Annual Meeting
  • March 2000- MidFEx exhibit at Chicago Garden and Flower Show
  • April 2, 2000- MidFEx Grafting Workshop at Cantigny Greenhouse
  • April 9, 2000- MidFEx Grafting Workshop at Botanic Garden

More Coming to this Web Site

Our web site is still growing.  More articles and photographs will be appearing here in the not too distant future.  So plan to visit us periodically.  We welcome your comments and correspondence.

© Copyright 1999 Midwest Fruit Explorers    all rights reserved
Last update: October 11, 1999
E-mail comments, questions, or corrections to
midfex@midfex.org