Welcome to Canada's Organic Community

http://www.inforganics.com/
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.  Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden
/permaculture /intergarden/orgfarm /ecolandtech
lflondon@mindspring.com  london@metalab.unc.edu
Title: Welcome to Canada's Organic Community
Welcome to Canada's Organic Community

Updated December 6, 1999

Welcome to Canada's Organic Community! Organics is a community by virtue of its commitment to doing things differently: organic farmers producing quality food by caring for the health of the soil and water; unique distribution methods that bypass big business and leave more cash in the hands of our farmers; and education of the food-buying public so they know that their food does not just come from a grocery store shelf.However, the community's small size (one percent of the Canadian market) makes it difficult for people interested in organics to find each other across the country. I created Canada's Organic Community to help bring together everyone with an interest in organics.

If you're not quite sure what organic agriculture is, or what it's all about, see What is Organic Agriculture?

From here you can search Food in Canada's Organic Community, which contains pages with information on 1929 organic farmers, plus CSAs and Green/Brown Box Programmes, and Farmers' Markets across Canada. Please help: Missing are certified organic farmers from BCARA and COPA and the Biodynamic Society in BC; Pro-Cert, COCC and some OCIA farmers in Saskatchewan; most OPAM farmers in Manitoba; many certified organic farmers in Ontario; and all the certified organic farmers in Québec except for OCIA farmers. If you can help make this list of organic farmers complete, email Inforganics with the information.

You can also search Commerce in Canada's Organic Community, where you'll find listings of businesses committed to bringing organic food and fibre, and expertise about organics, to Canadians. The businesses that list here support your access to the listings in the Food section. Please vote with your dollars for sustainable and regenerative agricultural products and services. New businesses to Canada's Organic Community include Home Grown Organic Foods of Halifax NS in the Home Delivery and Retailer categories.

An important new book has recently become available: Real Food for a Change, by Wayne Roberts, Rod MacRae, and Lori Stahlbrand. Learn more about how you can help change the Canadian food system by clicking on the book cover below.

Real Food for a Change Cover

I believe you'll find Canada's Organic Community a useful and valuable site. Please tell your friends about it so they will also have access to organic food and information. And don't forget to bookmark it in your web browser.

Acknowledgements

Canada's Organic Community would not have been possible without the financial and emotional support of Julie Johnston and Peter Carter. David Cameron and Nancy Sherwood have also supported me through the creation and maintenance of this site.

Dedication

I dedicate this site to the children of Canada, including my niece, Savannah Johnston. May you grow up in a sustainable and nourishing world!

For more information about Inforganics.

Jeff Johnston
P.O. Box 95
Riverport, Nova Scotia