RE: pesticide residue levels

Yes, and as I continue to remind people on all sides of the fence, in a well
balanced system, there is no need for pesticides.  Our farm has been managed
organically since 1989.  For the last several years, we have used virtually
no pesticides. The only exception was one spraying of BT last year on
broccoli in the spring, and broccoli in the spring in Kentucky is a weak
crop anyway - probably precipitating the insect problem. Our fall broccoli
was huge, stood in the field 'til December 21st and had no insect damage.
Organic growing is not defined by negatives -(although USDA will defined
certified organic labeling that way through a lack of understanding the
depths of it)  - no chemical fertilizers, pesticides,herbicides,fungicides
or any other 'cides.  It is a lot of positives, care of the soil, building
organic matter, being aware of insect life cycles, observation,
observation,observation, acknowledging being a part of the earth and its
cycles, rather than subduing them, growing healthy plants and animals in the
best way possible. Just my two cents worth this afternoon.

Alison Wiediger
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com

> From: 	Aquatfs@aol.com[SMTP:Aquatfs@aol.com]
> The issue of pesticide residue levels and their toxicity is only the tip
> of
> the iceberg. The real question is: what is it about a crop that pesticides
>
> were required to stave off predators? There is a school of thought that
> believes that insects are nature's recycling troops and destroy crops that
>
> are not suitable for consumption higher up the food chain. You could say
> they
> are nature's Q.C. department. Unhealthy soil produces unhealthy crops
> which
> come under insect attack. To kill the insects with pesticides is to allow
> an
> inferior crop to enter the food chain. Unhealthy crops result in unhealthy
>
> animals and humans. Just look at the infectious, reproductive,
> immunosuppressive, degenerative, and neurodegenerative problems facing our
>
> society. By the way, let's not define health as the suppression of
> symptoms
> through the use of therapeutants, but as the level of vitality promoted by
>
> life enhancing practices.
>
> If our only concern is with the safety of the synthetic pesticides,
> unfortunately, we are likely to accept organic farming which uses
> non-synthetic pesticides. The use of synthetic or non-synthetic pesticides
>
> still results in the marketing of a crop that was rejected by nature.
> Perhaps
> it's time to shift our "phobia" of synthetic pesticide residues to a
> "phobia"
> of crops that were produced using any insect eradication methods.
>
> Pushing the envelope.
>
> Alan Ismond, P.Eng.
> Aqua-Terra Consultants

"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".