The New Rules Project

http://www.newrules.org/
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com  london@metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
Title: The New Rules Project

Retail
Electricity
Agriculture
Information
Governance
Sports
Finance
Equity

The latest book published by the Institute for Local Self-Reliance, The Hometown Advantage, provides strategies for reviving independent businesses and Main Streets.

The latest issue of the New Rules Journal is out! Click here to learn how to subscribe.

Why NEW RULES?

Because the old ones don't work any longer. They undermine local economies, subvert democracy, weaken our sense of community, and ignore the costs of our decisions on the next generation.

The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) proposes a set of new rules that builds community by supporting a humanly scaled politics and economics. The rules call for:

  • Decisions made by those who will feel the impact of those decisions.
  • Communities accepting responsibility for the welfare of their members and for the next generation.
  • Households and communities possessing or owning sufficient productive capacity to generate real wealth.

These are the principles of "new localism." They call upon us to begin viewing our communities and our regions not only as places of residence, recreation and retail but as places that nurture active and informed citizens with the skills and productive capacity to generate real wealth and the authority to govern their own lives. (Click here for the answers to frequently asked questions about new localism.)

All human societies are governed by rules. We make the rules and the rules make us. Thus, the heart of this web site is a growing storehouse of community and local economy-building rules--laws, regulations, ordinances, statutes--because these are the concrete expression of our values. They channel entrepreneurial energy and investment capital and scientific genius. The New Rules Project identifies rules that honor a sense of place and prize rootedness, continuity and stability as well as innovation and enterprise.

Click on any sector listed on the left of this page and you will be taken to a web page that contains a list of categories of policy tools appropriate for that sector. Click on a policy tool category and you will find a brief description of the rule itself and a link to the actual text of that regulation, statute, law, etc. for easy downloading.

This web site also contains a variety of information sources, including a variety of on-line newsletters.

We welcome your comments.

You can subscribe to our monthly news bulletin or to any of our occasional bulletins by sending us an e-mail with your name and e-mail address.

Boulder considers Community Vitality Act...

FCC Carves a Space for Grassroots Radio...

San Francisco Outlaws ATM Surcharges; Federal Court Intervenes...

See our News&Bulletins page for a complete listing of recent news items

E-mail us with your ideas