ABA or Not, Barnacles Still Here

Carolina Birders:

The pair of Barnacle Geese here in Guilford Co. that I reported on
Carolinabirds two days ago seem totally unaware that they are not countable
for ABA purposes, as they are still here. They are providing good close views
that beg for photography, so I obliged them. I first saw them on Saturday,
12/2, and saw them again this afternoon, 12/4, for about 45 minutes until
about 4:30 p.m.

In addition to walking around the pond with my camera and long lens to get
good light, I also got very good looks through my scope from the street
today. At no time did I see any leg or neck bands. There was nothing about
their plumage that would suggest cage or enclosure wear. They did not fly
while I was watching, but one stretched its wings and I could see no evidence
of clipping.

The Barnacles continue to associate with a mixed flock of Canada Geese,
Mallards and two white barnyard type geese. They seemed to be sticking pretty
closely to barnyard geese while swimming, but on the ground they fed on grass
much as the Canadas were doing, staying pretty much to themselves. They acted
aggressively toward nearby Mallards that got too close. While I was there a
local resident threw some bread out on the edge of the pond, and all of the
waterfowl present including the Barnacles swam over to participate in the
feeding frenzy. However, when I walked around the pond, all swam away from
me, so none are exactly tame.

Obviously these birds could be escapes from some collection. Even if they
are, it's still pretty cool to be able to observe and photograph a species I
have seen only in Europe, and then at quite a distance.

Here's a question my wife asked me: If we are pretty sure that a tropical
hummingbird from Mexico, one rarely seen in the US anyplace, that has turned
up in North Carolina at the end of November is "countable," why are we
uncomfortable counting migratory geese that are known to occasionally occur
in the northern part of North America in winter and have actually shown up in
the Carolinas? I wish I could give her a good answer. Hmmm, maybe I should
demand a recount...?

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted@aol.com