A teal, a wigeon, and a quartet of whistlers

I pulled back the blinds this morning and thought: this would be a good day for
ducks, cloudy, grey and wet.
As such, Tracy and I headed down to Goldsboro to see if we could find the
Cinnamon Teal, as she had yet to see this handsome fella, and the Fulvous
Whistling Duck, which neither of us had seen.  In short, both the teal and the
whistler were present.  The fulvous was very easy to observe once Rick Payne and
Judy Murray pointed him out in the corner of the pond nearest the gate.  We had
been scanning the area of the pond where he was previously reported, i.e the
marshy islands farther down from the gate.  The fact that Judy, Rick Payne and
company were scanning this section while we were checking further down stems
from a rather abrupt change to the way in which one can access the property.

It appears that access to the wastewater treatment plant has changed somewhat
since last weekend.  Birders may find the gate locked on weekends, and only one
vehicle will be allowed inside the gate at a time. This is why the other group
was waiting outside of the gate.  In order for them to enter, Tracy and I were
required to leave (which we were happy to do as the Cinnamon Teal had already
put on a good show for us).  This actually worked to our favor as Judy's group
found the fulvous while waiting for Tracy and I to walk back down the dike and
exit the facility.  In speaking with the city employee on the site I was told
that this change was made last this week.  All persons entering the property
must also sign a waiver and provide photo ID.

In short, if the gate is locked, call the plant at 735-3329 and see if someone
will come and unlock it for you.  If other birders are present you may need to
negotiate when each group will enter the facility.

Anyway, on to the wigeon and the balance of the whistlers:

After leaving the teal spot I went on to Greenfield Lake in Wilmington to
collect the Eurasian Wigeon for my year list.  On the way I noted three Tundra
Swans (a.k.a. Whistling Swans) in an impoundment at mm 363.8.  Two adults and
one immature.

The Eurasian Wigeon was seen in Wilmington after some searching.  The group of
American Wigeon with which he is associating is quite small, so if you decide to
go after him be sure to carefully examine each of the small groups of ducks in
all of the little coves and backwaters.

Have a great week!

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please