Keep an eye out for waxwings with orange not yellow tail tips

This has bee frugivore week at home, and a flock of about 50 robins and the
same number of cedar waxwings as well as flickers , spasuckers and
starlings mad short work of a dogwood that had been loaded with berries.

The robins moved on, but the waxwings are sticking around an drinking at
our "water feature".  Of the 50 waxwings two appear to have red/orange
tailtips rather that the usual yellow.

We had 2 male Yellow-shafter Flickers engaged in a protracted agressive
face-off.  They would sit about 1.5 bill lengths apart and not move.  If
one made the slightest motion they both would engage in a raucous
side-to-side waving of their heads (one each).  This went on for 20
minutes.  The nearby female mas not impressed :).

Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, NC
tkrakauer@mindspring.com