Crossbills and Siskins, Stone Mountain CBC

Dear Folks:

The Stone Mountain CBC on Saturday 30 December turned up few surprizes
except for Hartsell Cash's Merlin near old US 21 in Wilkes County near
Thurmond. We have 63 species at this point, with at least 3 parties'
results stil out.

The big news is the huge mixed flock of winter finches, numbering at least
500 birds, that are feeding in the pine cones of the old growth white pines
along the Blue Ridge Parkway at elevation 3200' betweem Mileposts 228 and
229, north of the BRP - US 21 intersection south of Sparta. This flock, or
collection of small flocks, is about 60% pine siskins and 40% red
crossbills, with a few goldfinches and lots of unidentifiable stuff mixed
in. Conditions yesterday were not favorable for observation, with
intermittent heavy snow, winds 20 to 40 mph, and temperatures in the low
teens. I was unable to sort things out much better today, even though we
did not have snow or wind, and the temperature was a balmy 18 degrees at
noon. As these birds are feeding in the tops of 80' to 100' tall pines
observation would be difficult even without frozen fingers and stiff
binoculars.

I suspect other species are present, and several members of Blue Ridge
Birders will be trying to better i.d. the unidentifiable birds tomorrow
morning. As the pines in that area have an extremely heavy cone crop this
year, I anticipate that the finches will stay in the area. If anyone needs
better directions, call 336-359-2909.

James Coman
Blue Ridge Birders