Want a SC Bluebird Society?

As many of you know, North Carolina (and many other states) has an
active organization devoted to protection of bluebirds and other
cavity nesting birds. There are county coordinators across North
Carolina, and among other activities they have an annual meeting with
speakers, discussion groups, demonstrations, etc.

For the past several months, I have been talking periodically with
representatives of the North Carolina group and with officers of the
North American Bluebird Society, the national organization that
produces a quarterly journal. I've also heard comments from a few
South Carolinians who would like to see a bluebird organization in
their state.

Aware of my interest, the national society has offered support and
guidance if a group is started in South Carolina, perhaps initially
as an outreach program of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural
History.

To kick off the new year, I'd like to take a deep breath and offer
Hilton Pond Center as the "parent" organization for a new South
Carolina Bluebird Society. As such, the Center would be the
logistical base for the group and could use its non-profit status and
Web site to help the group organize, recruit members, and disseminate
information. (See http://www.hiltonpond.org/TrailBluebirdMain.html .)

I'm completely open as to how we might go about creating a South
Carolina group devoted to protecting bluebirds and other cavity
nesters, establishing "bluebird trails," and educating others about
cavity nesting species. My only request is that--if such a group is
desired--we hold an organizational meeting soon (i.e., before the end
of January) so we can have projects underway for the Spring 2001
nesting season.

If you have thoughts or suggestions about forming a South Carolina
Bluebird Society, if you'd like to be part of such a group, or even
if you're opposed to the idea, please contact me at:

	mailto:bluebird@hiltonpond.org

I look forward to hearing from you and to the possibility of moving
forward with the concept if there is interest. BTW, the North
American Bluebird Society does have limited funds available to help
with start-up costs of new state affiliates.

Best wishes,

BILL

--

**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <mailto:hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to the Center and to "Operation RubyThroat: The
Hummingbird Project" are tax-deductible.

The Center also hosts the "Nature Study Network," an Internet list
devoted to the study of interconnections among plants, animals, and
their habitats.

Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond Center  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.