Re: Prairie Falcons in the Carolinas

Harry's comment on Prairie Falcons is right in line. Several (3 or 4) years
ago I was at High Island, on the Texas Coast, during Spring migration, and
was lucky enough to arrive just as a large group of birders were congregated
under a live oak, with an apparently exhausted Prairie Falcon perched on an
outer branch. According to the local birders, in this highly birded corridor,
this was the first East Texas occurrence. and I do not believe that the Texas
Committee accepted it as a valid stray, but rather as escape . On this basis,
I would be very skeptical of any birds further East being truly wild birds,
but still a lot of fun to watch.
Pete Worthington, Simpsonville, SC

SC.