Re: Planting for birds and wildlife

BRIAN . . .

When I bought the Hilton Pond property in 1982, it had been in
pasture for many years and row crops before that. I laid out my
nature trails and let the rest go. Natural succession has turned the
11 acres into a wonderful mix of young hardwoods, pines, and cedars.
I've had pretty much a laissez-faire philosophy of land management,
interfering only to remove Japanese honeysuckle, privet, multiflora
rose, and a few other invasives. Some of this is outlined on the
website for Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at
http://www.hiltonpond.org .

If you're looking to start a hummingbird/butterfly garden, you might
check out "Operation RubyThroat: the Hummingbird Project" at
http://www.rubythroat.org . The section on "Attracting Hummingbirds"
has lots of suggestions for plantings, both native and exotic.

Let me know if these sites are useful.

Best wishes,

BILL

P.S.  By all means, plan on putting in a water garden of some sort;
water often attracts more wildlife than food.

********

--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.