RE: Spotting scope summary

Len Kopka wrote:
>But, an angled
>eyepiece makes it difficult (maybe impossible ) to use from a car window
>mount

Only if using it at the same time as driving :-) Really I see no difference
that an angled eye-piece should be more difficult to use.

Another thing that favours angled eyepiece is if the scope is to be used in
the tropics. In a Peruvian rain-forest you get canopy flocks with small
birds up to 100 ft above ground. They can be virtually inpossible to
distinguish with you hand held glasses. With an angled scope and an
extendable center pole canopy birding is easy. Very important also for
canopy birding is a good wide-angles eyepiece of 20x, but some birders get
quite used to eventually to spot things with the 20-60x zoom and this is
doable because of the big frontlens of 77-80mm. It sure makes a difference
to the small Kowa 611 I have got today (which at least was a good a
travelling scope). If you travel a lot you should probably go for the
lighter weight (Like the new Kowa).

I f you get into scope birding in the tropics another important issue is the
tripod. The lighter weight the better. The most important features are a
long center-pole and the ability to extra widen the angel of individual
legs. This is extremely important when you walk mountain-trails.

Cheers from Peru

Gunnar
-----
Gunnar Engblom
Kolibri Expeditions,
Lima, Peru
Birdwatching in South America
www.netaccessperu.net/kolibri
 kolibri@netaccessperu.net

Rubens 205 dpto 401
San Borja
Lima 41
Peru
tele/fax +51 (0)1 476 50 16 celular 936 49 11