Common Mergansers at Jordan Lake

This morning Alan Johnston, Jeff Pippen, Doug Shadwick, Laura Stewart, and I
 (on a Chapel Hill Bird Club trip) went down to Jordan Lake (Chatham Co.,
NC) to look for ducks and things.  The highlight was a flock of 7 female
Common Mergansers at Seaforth.  They were seen from the west side of the
peninsula near the west bank.  We also saw a male Red-breasted Merganser and
a whole bunch of Hooded Mergansers there -- a rare treat to see all three
mergs in one scope field!  We also saw a flock of about 50 Pied-billed
Grebes and several Horned Grebes, but no Goldeneye. At Ebenezer Point, the
best birds were 2 very distant Northern Shovelers (missed on the count).
Nothing unusual at Farrington bridge or Crosswinds Marina.  We didn't find
any unusual land birds, though we enjoyed helping Laura (on her first group
birding trip) see the elusive Ruby-crowned Kinglet. :-)

Seaforth directions: http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/tbg/seaforth.html

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu