RE: Tripod question

  I'm a nature photographer and have been using
the same 3021 for about 5 years.  I've dragged it
through the sand at the beach, submerged it in water,
and checked it as airplane luggage in a soft-sided
bag.  The leg locks have never needed adjustment, so
I would not consider the old locking mechanism to be
faulty.  As for the addition of the 90 degree leg
angle - this request probably comes from photographers.
There's a company called Kirk Photo who have been
modifying the 3021 tripod to add a 90 degree stop by
removing the legs and grinding some of the top connector
pieces - you could send them your tripod to be modified
(~$40 US) or buy a new, already modified tripod ($150).
The main benefit of having a 90 degree lock is for
photography while lying on your belly - i.e. VERY low
to the ground.  I'm not sure how useful it would be
to use a scope while lying on your belly, though.  The
only other benefit I can foresee is if you have a table
(or car roof) that is at chest height.  You would be
able to splay the tripod legs out completely flat and
lay the tripod on the table (or car).  If you were
doing this on a car you'd probably use the 75 degree
leg angle so you wouldn't scratch the car, though.
  For nature photography, I'd suggest getting the new
model - you'll find yourself in all sorts of positions
trying to get flower or macro shots.  For birding, I
see absolutely no reason to wait.
  I just checked B&H Photo/Video's web site and they
have the (old) 3021 in stock for $99.95 (3221 for $104.95).

I just checked Manfrotto's web site - There are three
versions of the new 3021 (PRO, N and GN).  Make sure you
get the one you want.

3021 - Old 3021 ($99.95)
3221 - Old 3021 in black ($104.95)
3021S - short, stubby version of the 3021 ($94.95)
3021-PRO - 3021 with a center post that can be
           connected to the legs horizontally or
           vertically. ($130)
3021N - new version of the 3021. ($117)
3021GN - same as 3021N but it has a few extras built
         in (leg pads, adjustable/replaceable feet,
         top leg section is olive green, carry strap)
         Not on B&H web site - I estimate around $140
         since it comes with the strap.

B&H carries all but the 3021GN.  The new ones are not in
stock yet, but the old ones are.  Check their web page -
they note prices and in-stock status.
Hint:  Photo->tripods->tripod legs

J. C.

PS
  Kirk Photo - http://www.kirkphoto.com
  B & H mail order - http://www.bhphoto.com
  Bogen/Manfrotto - http://www.manfrotto.com

PPS
  If you have not heard of B&H, let me
add that they are THE MOST reputable
online/mail-order photo supplier.  I can
give you plenty of reviews for them if
you'd like.  They carry binocs, too.
Maybe even scopes - I have never checked
in to that.
J. C. Bagley (J.C.Bagley@sas.com)
Systems Developer - Internal Tools Development
SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive,  Cary, NC  27513
phone: (919) 677-8000 x3867         fax: (919) 677-4444