Tundra Swans in Gaston County

    I saw a one to two paragraph article in the local newspaper two days ago
that there were two Tundra Swans and a Greater White-fronted Goose spotted at
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden south of Belmont in Gaston County. Yesterday I
was able to take an hour off and drive down there about 2PM. The two swans
were there, but I learned that the Greater White-fronted Goose had left about
a week ago after hanging out for about three weeks with the Canada Geese. The
geese left when the swans came about a week ago. Neither the Tundra Swans or
Greater White-fronted Goose had been previously documented in Gaston County.
After I have a look at the resident biologist's photos of the goose I will
probably add both to Gaston County's Natural Heritage Survey list.
    If anyone from the area would like to see the swans without the drive to
eastern NC, the people at the botanical garden ask that you not stop on the
entrance road to the visitor's center and do not pull off onto the grass.
Pull off into the parking lot on your right next to the administrative
offices. Then walk around the education cabin with the herb garden. The swans
were in the pond to the right of the entrance road, the pond with the gazebo.
You will be able to see the swans without paying admission to the garden. I
asked Dr. Rhoades, the biologist and director of education and research, to
let me know personally, if any additional interesting birds show up at Daniel
Stowe Botanical Garden. Cheers.

Steven Tracy
Gastonia, NC