Woodcock in N. Asheville

Sunday, 2/25, as we were taking a much-later-than-usual dogwalk on our usual
route, Cynthia and I heard "peent" calls in the Lewis Memorial Cemetary
between 7:00 and 7:03 p.m. Yesterday, 2/26, I returned at 6:50, and heard
and saw at least two displaying woodcocks until they becme silent at 7:03.
We don't know how long the woodcock have been hanging out there, or how long
they will stay, but here're the directions:

Take Merrimon to Beaverdam Rd (corner of Ingles in N. Asheville, across from
Steinmart and Fresh Market). Take Beaverdam not quite two miles. You'll see
a stone wall ahead of you, then the road curves a bit to the left at a
church and continues past the cemetery. The entrance to the cemetary is just
past the church. When you enter the cemetary, take the road to your right.
The birds were on the West edge of the cemetary, about halfway between
Beaverdam Rd (North) and the mausoleum on the hill (South). There is a road
going up to the mausoleum. Most of the lawn is kept short, but some yards
West of the mausoleum road the grass is allowed to grow. The best vantage
point is roughly halfway between the mausoleum and Beaverdam, at the edge of
the tall grass, just South of a dirt road that skirts the cemetary on the
North. If it's not rainy, you can see the birds take off and land against
the still-glowing sky.

Charlotte
Charlotte Goedsche/Cynthia Janes
Asheville NC