You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00100 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SWamin,
                Thank you very much for your enlightenment. I fully aooreciate and accept your point of view.
                Since Hindu Dharma is pluralistic in nature and divergent views and ethical practises are prevalent. The attack on Hinduism is also more not just from other than Hindus but with in itself. A code of conduct is definitely desirable but not practical as in Kerala. Irrespect of who ever is in Government,  religious tolerance is felt in Kerala, unlike in Tamilnadu, where people preach against Gods in public but cannot control their own kith and kin from worshipping God..

       Regards
                                     S RAJAGOPALAN.

rr@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear Swamins,

Modern Science and Technology have taken us several light years ahead but it is sad that this subject "????????????????? ??????? ??????? ???" has to come up for clarifications!!

In India, when people go to Churches or to Mosques, no one questions why certain dress codes or Cap codes are observed. No moslem anywhere ever prays anywhere without a cap on and without orienting himself towards Mecca/ Medina.

No Christian goes to a Church in a Lungi or Bermudas. This is true of all worshippers whether modern, literate or otherwise. No one has to conduct email sessions for them on ??????? ??????? ??? for their religions. Dissidence is rampant in those religions but no one questions the basic code of attendance and/or dress - cap code.

Adiyen will add a few thoughts:

i) Sashtanga Namaskarams - never! Not even to an Acharya when He is inside the Temple Premises to offer His Mangalasasanams. This is a practice that has come into fashion in the recent past due to a herd mentality - Achuthan has done it so Anathan should do and Kesavan and so on!!

ii) This applies inside the TEmple Complex - there is no exemption here - before or after the Dwaja Sthambam.

iii) Venkat Kanumala has done & is doing yeoman service - he doesn't need adiyen's certification but he will be well advised to stop this practice of offering Dhotis to sevarthis for obvious reasons,

iv) "In Kerala temples wearing other than dhothies are prohibited" - Correction please, Menfolk are NOT permitted to wear upper wear such as shirts/ banians/ T Shirts etc., Traditional Dhotis & Angavastrams only but tied to the waist generally, Still many millions throng Kerala Temples throgh the year in that attire regardless of their status,

v) Sorry, no clapping anywhere inside the Temple Complex please - i am reminded of Benjamin Franklin's quote "The Good Lord cures but the good doctor collects the fee". We can modify that to read as "The Good Lord gives but the good donor collects the applause"!!

vi) Srutis state "Dharmaha Kshyathi Keerthanath" - the good that comes out of Dharma vanishes if the said Donor even thinks for a moment that he has committed Dharma!! Believe me, adiyen has collected several crores over the years for the Asramam Projects and we never had to falicitate or clap anywhere.

vii) A private audience with HH and a shawl and a memento are all that 98% of the donors need {many don't want any thing at all}.

Warmest regards.

Daasan RR.