You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2001

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00041 May 2001

May 2001 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

--- murali sampath <ingit@xxxx> wrote:
> What one should do or not is one's personal choice.
> I don't think it is
> essential for anyone to advocate what one should be
> eating or doing
> irrespective whether he or she is a Vaishnaivite or
> whatever.

I don't think it is a personal choice if one wants to
work toward liberation or be in a satvik mode. All the
Satvik Puranas again and again stress the importance
of vegetarianism. First, we have to offer food to
Sriman Narayana before we eat it. Bhagavan accepts
only Vegetarian food.
> There are some vegetarians ( atleast in the USA and
> Germany ) who believe
> that Cow's milk, butter, ghee, etc are afterall an
> animal by-product and so
> they do not consume these. They also do not wear any
> leather shoes or jacket
> since this again is an animal by-product. Does any
> vegetarian Vaishnava have
> an answer for this?

Yes the answer is that what ever we do we should act
in love for and pleasing to Sri Baghavan. As Lord
Krishna, He has shown that he loves milk. We are
Vegetarian because Bhagavan likes only Vegetarian food
including milk products. Puranas illustrate this. For
example, Adithi worshipped Lord Vishnu for one year,
only accepting milk and no other food. At the end of a
year long aradhana with milk, Lord Vishnu was pleased
and appeared before her and later was born to Adithi
as Lord Vamana.
>If you look back at our Shastras
> or question our elders
> regarding the usage of Milk, the only answer you may
> get is "Paal
> saapidarthil Nishedham illai" ( nothing wrong in
> drinking milk )! It's for
> you and me to buy that.

Lord Brahma initially created Devas. When the Devas
were hungry, they went to Brahma. Brhama then created
SURABHI (the sacred cow) and asked the Devas to drink
cow's milk to satisfy the hunger.

> Again there's yeast involved in the milk to
> buttermilk process, bread, idly
> and more. So where should one draw a line in terms
> of what to eat that will
> truly render us a vegetarian? Atleast I think it's a
> matter of personal
> choice - be it French fries at MacDonald's or Milk
> at Taj or Dosa at
> Connemara or wherever.

It is not the matter of achoice if one wnats to be a
Vaishnava. Cow's milk constitutes a complete food that
saves humans. Therefore, cow is like a mother. Killing
or eating anything from the cow (other than the milk
or milk products) is like killing one's mother or
eating mother's flesh.

Narender Reddy
reddynp@xxxx