Re: Photo copying

Most of the requests we get to photograph images comes from journalists.  We do not provide photographic equipment, but can make copy prints (negatives and copy negatives are never given to researchers) through a photo lab.  Those who make the copies on premises themselves are charged a fee that varies based on whether the researcher is affiliated with a commercial or non-profit institution or endeavor and the number of items being reproduced.  This is separate from the use fee.

The general rule, however, is to urge researchers to allow us to make prints for them.  The equipment fee plays a helpful role in this regard.  In addition to worries about the researcher mishandling items, we have limited space for such activities, which can be very distracting to both the staff member who supervises the process and other researchers.

We have had only one or two requests to have scanned images sent via e-mail, and are still working on a policy.  For the time being, we are willing to scan images, assuming they are not oversized, in house for the researcher.  The fee for this service has not been set yet, but the usual use fees apply if the image is used in a publication.  This policy will probably change as we become accustomed to fielding e-mail requests and have a chance to evaluate how well it works.

Joseph M. Komljenovich
Archivist
LaGuardia and Wagner Archives
LaGuardia Community College/CUNY