Re: quality assessment of LDS microfilms

Renee wrote:
<snip>
Does anyone know of an objective assessment (as in a published article or
?) concerning the quality of the filming done on the various resources
microfilmed by the LDS church?
<snip>

I agree with what Dean wrote, i.e., we must first define the term
"quality". It is either a technical standard (objective) or is it a content
 standard (subjective They didn't film the newspaper clippings).

Which leads to the following -- what it is the primary purpose of the the
LDS program;Is it to preserve the historical record for all people or to
preserve information that will aid LDS members in their religious
activities?
Maybe this then leads to the following -- Do institutions negotiate with
the LDS as to what will be filmed when the initial contact is made? Will
the microfilming serve the purposes of the institution at the same time it
serves the needs of the LDS? It has been many years since I have worked
with an LDS  microfilmer (the gentleman was very professional and was
filming local government records), but I would imagine that an institution
would negotiate as to what will or won't be filmed.

Just my two-cents worth on a slow day.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia