Re: Toledo Blade editorial

phrsf wrote:
Out of curiosity... with computer imaging technology as it is today and
where it's headed, how easy is it to alter the scanned image and "change"
historical facts.  Without the primary document the possibilities are kind
of scary.  Not meaning to leave the subject of data loss, I think this is a
legitimate question.
Chris Corley
Folks,
For a good, readable, overview of the changing reality of photography see In Our Own Image: The Coming Revolution in Photography by Fred Ritchin (Aperture, 1990).  You should/may question the veracity of EVERY photograph you see regardless of medium.  In the ten years since Ritchin wrote (to coin a phrase) the technology to manipulate images with computers (which was expensive then) has become very cheap and widely available.  Thought provoking book.  Dick King, University of Arizona.