Re: "Why Do" list...

The value of the archives list has declined precipitously in the past few
years. I am not a drudge and a few of you out there would attest to the fact
that I do have a sense of humor. Nevertheless, I have begun to feel that
much of what appears on the archives list is a waste of my time.

Sure, folks put a lot of questionable stuff on the list, much of it not
related in any way to archives. Even some of the "archivally related" topics
border on the irrelevant or nonsensical. What bothers me even more is the
tendency for people to have to comment on the indiscretions of others.
People have put bonehead things on every list to which I have ever
subscribed. As a former colleague of mine used to say: "Where there are
people (you may read: list subscribers), there are a**holes."

Why can't people just use the delete key and get on with their lives. Do we
have to put up with a litany of "That's inappropriate," "I agree," "Me, too"
and "Oh, lighten up" messages?

I am a strong defender of the First Amendment, but I don't want, nor do I
need everybody's opinion on life's minutiae. Flame me if you wish, but I'll
probably be unsubscribed by then.

--

Bill Ross
Associate Professor and Head

The older we grow the greater
becomes our wonder at how much ignorance
one can contain without bursting one's clothes...

  Mark Twain