Re: Copyright of Baseball Broadcast

Greetings Chuck,

This sounds like a task for your legal counsel to answer.  Afterall they would be the ones to back you up in any lawsuit.

Chuck Piotrowski wrote:

Hello all:

We have recently received a reel-to-reel tape of a braodcast of a Cleveland Indians profesional baseball game.  The game is dated Spetember 27, 1953.  I understand that we own the physical tape (per gift agreement of donor) and we can make it available for research and educational puposes to our patrons (per rules for libraries and educational institutions).  However, do we have the right to broadcast the game over the air today?  Can we duplicate it and sell it?  Do the Cleveland Indians own the broadcast? Or Major League Baseball? Or have all rights expired? Please help me out on this one. Thanks.

Chuck Piotrowski
Assistant Curator of Manuscripts
Western Reserve Historical Society
10825 East Blvd
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
216-721-5722, ext. 245
Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, Ohio