Re: Copyright of Baseball Broadcast

I am working on a similar question, except that in my case I know that the tape is of a show originally broadcast on NBC radio (Eleanor Roosevelt interviewed the first director of our school on her radio show in 1951). I am in the process of trying to get in touch with the copyright officer at NBC to figure out what we can do with this tape, although more in terms of using transcribed information than broadcasting it. If you can tell from the tape what network/radio station it was broadcast on, try to contact them--if they still exist.  I'll get back to the list once I get in touch with the copyright person at NBC to let you knw what transpires.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Chuck Piotrowski <chuck@WRHS.ORG> 02/03/00 10:00AM >>>
Your message here.

Hello all:

We have recently received a reel-to-reel tape of a braodcast of a Cleveland Indians profesional baseball game.  The game is dated Spetember 27, 1953.  I understand that we own the physical tape (per gift agreement of donor) and we can make it available for research and educational puposes to our patrons (per rules for libraries and educational institutions).  However, do we have the right to broadcast the game over the air today?  Can we duplicate it and sell it?  Do the Cleveland Indians own the broadcast? Or Major League Baseball? Or have all rights expired? Please help me out on this one. Thanks.

      Chuck Piotrowski
      Assistant Curator of Manuscripts
      Western Reserve Historical Society
      10825 East Blvd
      Cleveland, Ohio 44106
      216-721-5722, ext. 245
      Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, Ohio