Re: Documentation planning

You might want to check out the book edited by Joan Krizack for details:

Krizack, J.  D. (Ed.). (1994). Documentation planning for the U.S. health
care system. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.

Krizack also published an article in American Archivist on this topic.

Documentation planning could be described as an application of the
documentation strategy concept (see the various writings of Helen Samuels,
Richard Cox, and others, on this) to a single institution (or, as one
component of  a broader documentation strategy). It's an approach to the
appraisal and acquisition of archival records which focuses on first
carrying out a functional analysis of an organization, and then identifying
those records which best document those functions. One would also identify
functions which are not well documented within an organization's
recordkeeping systems and (in Helen Samuels' version) develop documentation
projects to fill in these gaps in the historical record of the institution.

"Documentation planning", "documentation strategy", "records acquisition
strategy", and "macroappraisal" are all next-door neighbors in that small
town called archival appraisal: they borrow each others' garden tools &
share recipes for meatloaf.

Chris Halonen
(ch196@umail.umd.edu)

College of Library & Information Services
University of Maryland
Rm. 4105 Hornbake Building, South Wing
College Park, Maryland, 20742-4345

Phone: 301-405-2053