Re: searching free form text documents

Andrea,

I am doing some additional study at the University of North Texas in
Denton, TX.  In one class we are using PERL to do something similar to
what you are describing.  We have HTML files which have characteristics
about a certain image as well as text about the image.  The files are all
in one folder or subfolders off of the main folder.  A standard search
script called "search.pl" can be modified to look at every file in the
folder/subfolder and search it for whatever word/words was/were entered.
The list that is returned gives each file that matches the search.

To have this work you would need a web server that allows cgi scripting
and someone who knows (or can learn) PERL.  If you want more details,
e-mail me at mpullin@lib.swbts.edu and I can provide more.

Mike

Michael Pullin                                    E-mail: mpullin@lib.swbts.edu
Archivist and Special Collections Librarian         Tel (817) 923-1921 Ext 3338
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary                    Fax (817) 921-8765
PO Box 22000
Fort Worth, TX  76122-0490