Medical tools

You could contact Dr. James Edmonson at the Dittrick Museum of Medical History (216/368-6391) here in Cleveland.  The Museum has extensive collections of medical paraphernalia, both small instruments and enormous apparati used for all sorts of purposes.  Jim has written extensively on medical devices and is well known for his expertise, in this country and internationally.  He just published a book on surgical instruments, which (if I remember correctly) concentrates on the U.S. in the19th century.  Whenever anybody around here has a question about equipment, we call him up.  I'm sorry, but I don't have his email address.

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
lautzef@ccf.org