Exhibiting controversial materials

All,

        A group of erotic drawings done by a very famous person (not an
artist by profession) has come into our possession. They leave nothing to
the imagination, are quite large and detailed, and portray one or more
people (usually the artist and his wife) engaged in various sex acts. They
have been published twice before so they are not anything that anyone
couldn't already see if they desired. The artist is dead, his wife is not.
        The library is quite excited to have these and might want to
display them at some point in the future. My director asked me to query
this list and ask whether anyone has ever exhibited material that was, to
the minds of at least some, pornographic and what the reaction was.

                                        Curtis Lyons
                                        VCU Special Collections