Re: Mass produced phonograph records

Here's just one example:  Our core collection at the Louis
Armstrong House and Archives is the Louis Armstrong Collection,
which comprises Louis's vast personal collection of home recorded
tapes, acetate discs, 78s, LPs, 45s, books, photographs,
manuscripts, awards, trumpets, etc.  Some researchers are
interested in Louis's personal record collection--not just in his own
recordings--to determine what he listened to.

Our Satchmo Collection is a rapidly growing collection of new
acquisitions, including 78s, LPs, and CDs of Louis's music.  For
us, it makes sense to collect these materials.  Keep in mind also
that many younger visitors have never seen an LP much less a 78.

We have a written Collection Development Policy which always
comes in handy in evaluating prospective gifts.

Michael

>Why are phonograph records and mass produced
> audio tapes considered by some archives to be archives material?

>  I guess, my question what are the circumstances
> that make collecting mass produced phonograph records a part of an
> archives mission?

Michael Cogswell
Louis Armstrong House and Archives
Queens College, CUNY