Re: How Many Photocopies is too Many?

Responding to Maggie:

First, I think if you own the collection, you also have the right to
set rules for use.   Limiting the number of photocopies is one of
these.   It is much harder, I think, for public institutions because
we are caretakers of materials owned by "John Q. Public."

Second, Maggie mentions the "integrity" of the collection.  This sounds
more like "protecting what's ours" than any real integrity.   The difficulty
is that information is a commodity, whether it is taken from a book,
newspaper, or archives collection.  Information can be taken as a whole,
in fragments, pieces, or parts.   While we may not like someone scanning
a photocopy from our collection and putting it on a web site, and we may
have policies against this, I'm not sure that this is so much different from
someone including the information in a published book, thesis, exhibit,
or the like.  I think the best we can do is to insist that credit be given to
the owning institution and perhaps additional statements that additional
research materials exist, please contact ....etc.

One way to curb the massive photocopying which started this thread
is to point out that if the materials are under copyright, there was a
provision that no more than 10% may be photocopied/reproduced.
That works, sometimes, too.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338