Re: job market

Good question. My answer is three fold: It's what I do best; I do it in a field that's been a lifelong field of study and interest; and in spite of financial disadvantages, I enjoy it more than anything else I've ever done. I don't know if these are the typical reasons, but they are what keep it all in perspective for me.

As I explained it to one of our volunteers, no one works for a non-profit organization to get rich - not legitimately in most cases, anyway. I knew what I was getting into with the pay situation; but the undeniable sense of being underappreciated, coupled with a variety of unexpected financial problems on the home front, set this sort of thinking into motion. Thank you for bringing some clarity to it.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
419-352-5616
tberry@wcnet.org

Anne Salter wrote:

Before the day becomes a moaning and winging forum for all underpaid archivists, you might ask yourself the question - Why did I take this job when I knew what the pay was?  Also, you might ask yourself why you are still there when you could get paid so much more somewhere else?

I would like to hear the answers to these questions which might be much more revealing of us as a profession.