Re: salaries and attitudes about the corporate sector

 I received a private e-mail from a young archivist wondering
why I would not work in the corporate world "for any amount of money."
I thought that I had made it clear that this was just for me a personal
choice. Corporate archives are fine for others, and there are certainly
many wonderful career opportunities there. I happen to like the ivory
tower. Not having to wear a tie every day is certainly a draw. Working
with young students keeps you young. Following our athletic teams that
play for the fun of it rather than the money. Etc etc etc ...
 Richard makes an excellent point when he says that we should have a
concern for corporate history and not turn our backs on it. It has also
been pointed out that the corporate world and the academic world are
inching ever closer together. Turning our backs on this fact and refusing
to acknowledge it will not do us any good. I know that for myself I
am wearing a tie to work more often than I once did. It hasn't killed me
yet. My handy light saber stands ready next to my desk.

 Steve (Luke Skywalker ) Fisher
 University of Denver