Re: the job market (comment on salaries)

> I have been job hunting for about half a year for
>archivist and some librarian positions
I had to
>cancel an interview at the last moment when I found
>out the job would pay less than my current position,
>it was a waste of time for both the employer and me.

Same here. I have been out for almost a year with a MLIS, with a
concentration in Archival Enterprise. I now have 2 half-time jobs. One as
an archives assistant and one as a library assistant. I make twice as much
at the library assistant job (a private firm).

I don't apply for positions that pay less than what I make as a library
assistant/archives assistant combined, because that's still $7K less a year
than I made before I went to library school (working as a humble secretary).

While working in an archives is *fun*, it's not that much different than
working in a corporate library -- except for the money.

Stephanie Swenson Towery
stowery@mail.law.utexas.edu