Re: job market

Because it's Friday and I'm taking the time to read my email, I'm going to respond:

Hey, man, if I knew it was going to be this hard to get a job, I would never have gone to library school.

I'd have been a pizza delivery guy. I mean I could at least listen to music in the car. All I have here is the hum of my printer and the sound of my keystrokes.

Stephanie (I refuse to use that sideways smiley face)

> Before the day becomes a moaning and winging forum for all underpaid archivists, you might ask yourself the question - Why did I take this job when I knew what the pay was? Also, you might ask yourself why you are still there when you could get paid so much more somewhere else?
>
> I would like to hear the answers to these questions which might be much more revealing of us as a profession.
>
> At 08:59 AM 3/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>

>I'm earning
>under $12 an hour for what was recently
>referred to as my 'professional expertise'. But that was when I was
>being
>volunteered as a participant in a program to help other
>organizations. I
>must take on two and sometimes three jobs, even though this one is full
>time, in order to pay the mortgage *and* eat. Add to that, my car
>going on
>the blink recently, and I literally have to think how to cook to have
>well-balanced meals and pay the bills.
>No professional should have to live like this.
>My 2cents
>Ronnie Cunningham
>

> And on budgets like ours, even sparing the two cents can be a challenge . . .
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Thomas Berry, another $12.00 per hour Archivist
> Historical Construction Equipment Association
> 16623 Liberty Hi Road
> Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
> 419-352-5616
> tberry@wcnet.org